Beat Shazam Recap: August 10, 2017
Beat Shazam was back with three new teams on Thursday, August 10, 2017. We’re so ready for another fun hour of music and dancing with host Jamie Foxx and deejay October Gonzalez.
First, let’s meet the teams, with the nicknames we gave them:
- School Ya: Eric and Ryan, an assistant principal and teacher from Nashville, TN.
- NY Ladies: Mandi and Haley. Mandi is her niece’s guide to having a good time
- Music Police: David and Catherine, two of Massachusetts’ Finest. They’ve been listening to music in the cruiser in their downtime and playing this game even before they knew it existed
If you have not seen this episode and still plan to, STOP READING. The correct responses and scores after each song are in this recap.
Round 1 – Bruno Mars
First 4 are worth $1000 each. The last one (Fast Track) is worth $2000.
1. “24K Magic”
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $1000 Music Police $0
Everyone got it right, but Mandi and Haley got right on it. Their time was 1.13 seconds!
2. “Locked Out of Heaven”
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $1000 Music Police $1000
The Police locked that one up in 1.42.
3. “Just the Way You Are”
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $1000 Music Police $2000
Another collar for The Police. This time they came in at 1.75 to the Ladies’ 2.03.
4. “Marry You”
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $1000 Music Police $3000
The Police were fastest at 1.17.
5. (Fast Track) “Grenade” (Colbie Caillat)
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $1000 Music Police $5000
We thought we’d seen some fast solves so far but wow! The Police came in at 0.86 on this one!
Round 2: Girl Groups
First 4: $2000 each. Fast Track: $4000
1. “Hold On” (Wilson Phillips)
School Ya $0 NY Ladies $3000 Music Police $5000
Everyone got in there under 2 seconds, but the Ladies were fastest at 1.81.
2. “Creep” (TLC)
School Ya $2000 NY Ladies $3000 Music Police $5000
Eric and Ryan get their first hit. They were the only ones correct, too.
3. “Dancing in the Street” (Martha & the Vandellas)
School Ya $4000 NY Ladies $3000 Music Police $5000
Score another for School Ya, the only team right again.
4. “Free Your Mind” (En Vogue)
School Ya $6000 NY Ladies $3000 Music Police $5000
Everyone got this one but School Ya was the only team under 2 seconds.
5. (Fast Track) “When I Grow Up” (The Pussycat Dolls)
School Ya $6000 NY Ladies $7000 Music Police $5000
The Ladies came in at 1.54 to School Ya’s 1.64. The Police recognized the group but got the wrong song
The NY Ladies emerged with a $1,000 lead. On to Round 3.
Round 3: The 60s
First 4: $3000 each. Fast Track: $6000. Third place goes home at end of round.
1. “It’s Not Unusual” (Tom Jones)
School Ya $9000 NY Ladies $7000 Music Police $5000
School Ya gets back in the lead with the only correct response.
2. “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” (Frankie Valli)
School Ya $12,000 NY Ladies $7000 Music Police $5000
And again, School Ya gets the only right title.
3. “Stop! In the Name of Love” (The Supremes)
School Ya $15,000 NY Ladies $7000 Music Police $5000
Eric and Ryan know the Swingin’ Sixties. Everyone got this but they came in at 1.19.
4. “Reach Out I’ll Be There” (The Four Tops)
School Ya $18,000 NY Ladies $7000 Music Police $5000
It was School Ya against the Ladies, but Eric and Ryan reached out the fastest.
5. (Fast Track) “Somebody to Love” (Jefferson Airplane)
School Ya $18,000 NY Ladies $13,000 Music Police $5000
School Ya was so close to a perfect round. Sooooo close, but they came in at 2.11 on this and the Ladies beat them with 2.06.
The Music Police had to go back on patrol but they let Jamie and October wear their police jackets for the next two rounds.
Round 4: Breakup Songs
First 4: $5000 each. Fast Track: $10,000
1. “Before He Cheats” (Carrie Underwood)
School Ya $18,000 NY Ladies $18,000
The Ladies jumped in there 2/10ths of a second faster to make this a tie game
2. “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” (Marvin Gaye)
School Ya $23,000 NY Ladies $18,000
The guys locked in under 2 seconds.
3. “Un-Break My Heart” (Toni Braxton)
School Ya $23,000 NY Ladies $23,000
And we’ve got another tie to un-break
4. “The First Cut is the Deepest” (Sheryl Crow)
School Ya $28,000 NY Ladies $23,000
Another one under 2 seconds for School Ya
5. (Fast Track) “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” (Culture Club)
School Ya $28,000 NY Ladies $33,000
The Ladies took it at 1.80 seconds to School Ya’s 1.87. Holy smokes!
The NY Ladies now have a $5K lead with that valuable Fast Track win. After the next round, Jamie said: “One of these teams is headed for a showdown with Shazam and one of these teams is headed to the parking lot.”
Round 5: Rock
First 4: $10,000 Fast Track: $20,000. Second place goes home with half their money.
1. “Self Esteem” (The Offspring)
School Ya $28,000 NY Ladies $43,000
The only right title and the Ladies’ lead increases
2. “Demons” (Imagine Dragons)
School Ya $28,000 NY Ladies $53,000
The Ladies have the only right title again.
3. “Blaze of Glory” (Jon Bon Jovi)
School Ya $38,000 NY Ladies $53,000
The guys are not giving up! They came in under 2 seconds to win this one
4. “Higher” (Creed)
School Ya $48,000 NY Ladies $53,000
The guys close the distance again with another win under 2 seconds.
5. (Fast Track) “We’re an American Band” (Grand Funk Railroad)
School Ya $48,000 NY Ladies $73,000
The guys came in at 1.87 but the Ladies swooped in at 1.53 and they are going on to the Million Dollar Round.
Whew! That was some fine musical dueling but now, it’s back to Nashville for Eric and Ryan. They gave it their all and made a very respectable $24,000. Mandi and Haley get the chance to increase their $73,000 a lot, or maybe we should say A WHOLE LOT!! Look what these songs are worth:
One Million Beat Shazam Round – 6 songs
First 5: $25,000 each. They only get a shot at the million if they get all 5 right. There are no more multiple choice screens and they have to know the song’s exact title before Shazam to be right.
1. Punk Rock: “All the Small Things” (Blink-182) – $98,000
2. Divas: “All The Man That I Need” (Whitney Houston) – Shazam beat them on this and now the million is off the table.
3. Taylor Swift: “Love Story” – $123,000
4. 90s: “Just a Girl” (No Doubt) – $148,000
5. Disco: “Shake Your Groove Thing” (Peaches & Herb) – and they finished with $173,000!
They picked up an additional $100K for knowing 4 of those songs! Nice work if you can get it, eh? So now they get the chance to double their money to $346,000 or they can ease on the down the road to the bank with that $173,000 they’ve already got. As always, Jamie pointed out that if they lose, they will be taking home half or $86,500 and he gave them the category: Pop. The ladies consult. Jamie consults with Ralphie, Mandi’s husband who says she’s smart and knows what to do. They decide to face the music. Haley says her aunt has been on fire the whole game and has been one second ahead of her, so Mandi takes the wheel. And she beat Shazam! “as sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.” Here is Toto’s song “Africa,” a 1983 No. 1 hit for them on Billboard.
That was great! Like Ralphie, we had complete faith in Mandi, who plans to help her twin sister with some medical issues. Haley has some student loans to pay off. Congratulations, NY Ladies!