Beat Shazam Recap: August 17, 2017
It’s Thursday night and time for another episode of Beat Shazam (8/17/2017). Jamie Foxx and his wing woman, October Gonzalez, are on hand and so are three new teams, ready to compete for big money just for knowing hit songs. The songs start out at $1,000 a pop. By Round 6, they are worth $25,000 each. You know you’re impressed, and would love to have a shot at that, too. Here’s where you can apply to be a contestant:
Here are tonight’s teams with the nicknames we gave them.
- Phoenix Gals: Jenny and Deejah, friends and music lovers since second grade.
- Rodeo Riders: Straight outta Texas, Anthony and Casey are cowboys by day and music geeks by night
- Long Island Ladies: Beth and Ashley, best friends and partners in crime from Oceanside, New York. They are also mother and daughter.
If you have not seen this episode and still plan to, STOP READING.
The correct responses and scores after each song are in this recap.
Round 1 – Disco
First 3 are worth $1000 each. The last one (Fast Track) is worth $2000.
1. “Y.M.C.A.” (The Village People)
Phoenix Gals $0 Rodeo Riders $1000 Long Island Ladies $0
Everyone got it but the Rodeo Riders were the only ones to come in under 2 seconds
2. “Don’t Leave Me This Way” (Thelma Houston)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $1000 Long Island Ladies $0
Phoenix locked it in a whole second faster than the other 2 teams
3. “Love Machine” (The Miracles)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $1000 Long Island Ladies $1000
Beth and Ashley only had to beat Phoenix’ time on this and they did it. Now it’s a 3-way tie
4. (Fast Track) “I’m Your Boogie Man” (K.C. and the Sunshine Band)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $1000 Long Island Ladies $3000
The Ladies beat everyone for that double fast track money
Round 2: Country
First 3: $2000 each. Fast Track: $4000
1. “Cruise” (Florida Georgia Line)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $1000 Long Island Ladies $5000
The Long Island Ladies were the only ones right.
2. “Breathe” (Faith Hill)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $3000 Long Island Ladies $5000
Long Island was out of this one. The Rodeo Riders beat Phoenix by a country mile. Well, really more than 2 seconds
3. “Rhinestone Cowboy” (Glenn Campbell)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $5000 Long Island Ladies $5000
The Rodeo Riders got this one in under 2 seconds!
4. (Fast Track) “Jesus, Take the Wheel” (Carrie Underwood)
Phoenix Gals $1000 Rodeo Riders $9000 Long Island Ladies $5000
The Rodeo Riders got a little ribbing for missing that first song in this category, but look at them now.
Round 3: Bon Jovi
First 3: $3000 each. Fast Track: $6000. Third place goes home at end of round.
1. “Wanted Dead or Alive”
Phoenix Gals $4000 Rodeo Riders $9000 Long Island Ladies $5000
And it’s a solo solve for the Phoenix Gals, putting them right back in the thick of things.
2. “You Give Love a Bad Name”
Phoenix Gals $4000 Rodeo Riders $12,000 Long Island Ladies $5000
Everyone got it but Anthony & Casey came in first.
3. “Livin’ On a Prayer”
Phoenix Gals $4000 Rodeo Riders $15,000 Long Island Ladies $5000
The Rodeo Riders got in 2.16 to Long Island’s 2.34. Phoenix picked the wrong song
4. (Fast Track) “Bad Medicine”
Phoenix Gals $4000 Rodeo Riders $15,000 Long Island Ladies $11,000
Long Island gets real close with a lone solve. That Fast Track money has a way of evening things up.
It’s back to Phoenix for Jenny and Deejah now with thanks for your a capella rendition of “Ebony & Ivory.” That was fantastic!
Round 4: 2000s
First 3: $5000 each. Fast Track: $10,000
1. “Crazy” (Gnarls Barkley)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $11,000
The Rodeo Riders won it at 2.36 seconds to the Ladies’ 2.48. We gotta find a clip of Jamie singing this!
2. “Angel” (Shaggy ft. Rayvon)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $11,000
Both teams went with “Wasn’t Me.” Bzzzt!
3. “A Thousand Miles” (Vanessa Carlton)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $16,000
Both got it right but the Ladies came in under 2 seconds
4. (Fast Track) “Mr. Brightside” (The Killers)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $26,000
Both right again, but the Ladies got it in 1.61 seconds. Talk about fast!
And the Long Island Ladies jumped into the lead by $6,000 just like that. The next round decides who goes on to play against Shazam.
Round 5: Sexy Songs
First 3: $10,000 Fast Track: $20,000. Second place goes home with half their money.
1. “Bump N’ Grind” (R. Kelly)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $36,000
Whoo! Beth and Ashley’s lead just went way up.
2. “Let’s Get It On” (Marvin Gaye)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $46,000
The Ladies again. The Riders picked the wrong horse, um, song.
3. “Pillowtalk” (Zayn)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $56,000
With the only right title, the Long Island Ladies can only be beat by Shazam now.
4. (Fast Track) “Nice & Slow” (Usher)
Rodeo Riders $20,000 Long Island Ladies $76,000
A perfect round for the Long Island Ladies.
The Rodeo Riders have to hightail it back to the Lone Star State, but Casey and Anthony will have $10,000 in their saddlebags. Beth and Ashley are headed for a showdown with Shazam.
One Million Beat Shazam Round – 6 songs
First 5: $25,000 each. They only get a shot at the million if they get all 5 right. There are no more multiple choice screens and they have to know the song’s exact title before Shazam to be right.
1. Girl Groups: “Our Lips Are Sealed” (The Go-Gos) – Shazam won. New ballgame with no million dollar prize now.
2. Hip Hop: “Thrift Shop” (Macklemore Ryan Lewis Ft. Wanz) – $101,000
3. Rock: “American Girl” (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers) – No dice on this one. Jamie told them not to lose confidence now. $50K is still up for grabs.
4. Justin Timberlake: “Mirrors” – Shazam wins again.
5. Oldies: “Yakety Yak” (The Coasters) – They ran out of time again and they finish with $101,000.
So they added $25,000 to their bank and now they can just take their $101,000 and call it a day. They can try to get one more song and if they beat Shazam, the prize will double to $202,000. If they don’t miss it, they will only get half of what they have now, or $50,500. Jamie gave them the Final Category name to help them decide. It was the ’80s, but after just getting their butts beat by Shazam on 4 songs, they weren’t exactly in the mood to bet $50,500 on one last song. “We’re walking,” Beth said. They made the right decision because they didn’t know the last song: “What I Am” by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
Beth had plans to help her kids start a business and take a trip with her husband. Ashley wants to set her dad up with a better music studio. We’re sure that the $101,000 will be a big help.