Beat Shazam Recap: July 13, 2017
Beat Shazam returned on 7/13/2017 with host Jamie Foxx and DJ October Gonzalez. Coming up are three new teams, new songs and another chance to win a million. We’re back to 4 songs per round in this rodeo but first, here’s the good news:
BEAT SHAZAM HAS BEEN RENEWED FOR A SECOND SEASON! Jamie Foxx tweeted: “Can’t stop, won’t stop”
Here are the teams with the nicknames we gave them.
- New York: Super-competitive friends, Manny and Lee. They’re obsessed with karaoke.
- Pawtucket: Rhode Islanders, Bekah and Tony, who have been married for a year
- Waltham: Amy and Stacey, friends since their cheerleader and basketball school days in Massachusetts
If you have not seen this episode and still plan to, STOP READING.
The correct responses and scores after each song are in this recap.
Round 1 – 70s Hits
First 3 are worth $1000 each. The last one (Fast Track) is worth $2000.
1. “Take a Chance on Me” (Abba)
New York $0 Pawtucket $0 Waltham $0
“Three goose eggs.” Everyone locked in “Dancing Queen”
2. “We Will Rock You” (Queen)
New York $1000 Pawtucket $0 Waltham $0
All were right, but Manny and Lee were first to lock in
3. “War” (Edwin Starr)
New York $1000 Pawtucket $1000 Waltham $0
Everyone got it in under 2 seconds but, good God y’all, Bekah and Tony were the fastest.
4. (Fast Track) “Hold the Line” (Toto)
New York $1000 Pawtucket $1000 Waltham $2000
Amy and Stacey leaped ahead. Everyone else picked “Not in the Way”
Round 2: Justin Timberlake – Jamie pretended Justin was coming out on the stage. October said it was a mean trick
First 4: $2000 each. Fast Track: $4000
New York $3000 Pawtucket $1000 Waltham $2000
All were right. Manny and Lee in 1.03 seconds.
2. “Rock Your Body”
New York $3000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
All right again. Bekah and Tony came in at 1.29
3. “What Goes Around…Come Around”
New York $5000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
They all know their JT songs again but Manny and Lee came in first
4. (Fast Track) “Cry Me a River”
New York $9000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
Manny and Lee got in first again and up goes their total– way up!
October pointed out that this was the first perfect round in Beat Shazam history that all teams got each song right. Right now, New York has 3 times more than Pawtucket. Time for some catching up!
Round 3: Divas – Jamie announced Mariah Carey after the first song but after his JT trick, the players were skeptical. It was true, though, and the superstar came out and gave everyone a big hug.
First 4: $3000 each. Fast Track: $6000. Third place goes home at end of round.
1. “Always Be My Baby” (Mariah Carey)
New York $12,000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
Out of 2 right, Manny and Lee once again got in first
2. “Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves” (Cher)
New York $15,000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
Manny and Lee are on a roll, .30 seconds faster than Pawtucket.
3. “What’s Love Got to Do with It?” (Tina Turner)
New York $18,000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $2000
This time, Manny and Lee came in .36 second faster than Pawtucket
4. (Fast Track) How Will I Know (Whitney Houston)
New York $18,000 Pawtucket $3000 Waltham $8000
They missed every other title but they got the one that kept them in the game.
That Fast Track win for Waltham meant it was back to the crib in Pawtucket for Bekah and Tony with a cherished memory of meeting and hugging Mariah Carey.
Round 4: Wedding Songs
First 4: $5000 each. Fast Track: $10,000
1. “Play That Funky Music” (Wild Cherry)
New York $18,000 Waltham $13,000
Amy and Stacey catching up quick with a win by .19
2. “We Are Family” (Sister Sledge)
New York $18,000 Waltham $18,000
Manny and Lee missed the title, the ladies scored and now they are tied. Wow! Just 4 songs ago, Waltham was $16K behind New York!
3. “Get Down Tonight” (KC and the Sunshine Band)
New York $18,000 Waltham $23,000
Jamie: “We got a barn burner right now”
4. (Fast Track) “All My Life” (K-Ci and JoJo)
New York $18,000 Waltham $33,000
Amy and Stacey pulled it off again for a perfect round
The ladies came into this round trailing by $10K but now they’ve got a $15K lead. There’s even bigger money in the next round so it’s still anyone’s game, as Jamie said.
Round 5: Alternative
First 4: $10,000 Fast Track: $20,000. Second place goes home with half their money.
1. “How’s It Going To Be” (Third Eye Blind)
New York $18,000 Waltham $33,000
Both teams got it wrong with “Closing Time” and “Jumper”
2. “Counting Blue Cars” (Dishwalla)
New York $18,000 Waltham $43,000
Only Amy and Stacey had the right title.
3. “Carry On” (Fun)
New York $18,000 Waltham $53,000
A wrong title from New York hands the win to Waltham, but there’s still a chance for more take-home money
4. (Fast Track) “Superman (It’s Not Easy)” (Five for Fighting)
New York $38,000 Waltham $53,000
Manny and Lee finally got one in that round and it was well worth it. It changed what they were bringing home from $9,000 to $19,000. Nice!
One Million Beat Shazam Round – 6 songs
First 5: $25,000 each. They only get a shot at the million if they get all 5 right. There are no more multiple choice screens and they have to know the song’s exact title before Shazam to be right.
1. Rock: “Heartbreaker” (Pat Benatar) $53,000 – Shazam got it first so now the million is off the table
2. U2: “Mysterious Ways” – $53,000 – A lyric miss with “she moves in mysterious ways”
3. Girl Groups: “I’m So Excited” (The Pointer Sisters) $78,000 – They got it!
4. 90s: “Only Wanna Be With You” (Hootie & the Blowfish) – $78,000 – Amy was a little worried that she put an “I” in the title and it wasn’t in there, for another miss. There’s one more chance to add to their bank.
5. Country Songs: This Kiss (Faith Hill) $103,000
So that was 2 out of 5 right for an additional $50K. Now they had to weigh their options: Take home $103,000 home or try doubling it to $206,000. If they don’t beat Shazam, they will only get $51,500. Jamie gave them the Final Category name to help them decide: Motown. Hey! That was the same Final Category on 6/29/17 Just like Elliott and Siri, they chose to take the money and run, and just like Elliott and Siri, they immediately knew the last song. The moral here might be never walk away from Motown!
Here is “Cruisin'”, a big hit for Smokey Robinson in 1979.
It was still a great game for Amy and Stacey, with that awesome comeback from third place. It’s a hard choice there at the end, especially if you have a specific purpose in mind for the money that will make a big difference in your life, as Amy did. Her home was ruined by a family of skunks. That’s got to be the top unwanted guest story of all time!